Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Shaved Cucumber Salad with Lemon Dill
Less Than 50 Calories Per Serving

Use a mandoline to thinly slice cucumbers.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

How Slicing Makes a Difference
How a vegetable or fruit is sliced can make a big difference on its texture and even its flavor. My daughter was here this week and when I asked her to make a side dish with the garden cucumbers I just picked, she made this beautiful salad.

Although this recipe has few ingredients, the thinly shaved cucumber slices give it an elegant presentation. Its tangy lemon dill dressing coats every little slice and makes a great low-calorie summer side dish. If you are a fish eater, this lemon dill salad pairs perfectly with grilled wild salmon.


A mandoline is used to slice the cucumbers 

To cut the cucumbers this thin, you will need a mandoline slicer. Please be careful when using this tool and ALWAYS use the guard, although it's tough to do when cutting these thin cucumbers. This is what happened to me last year when I didn't take my own advice while making dehydrated apple slices!

Be super careful when using a mandoline


                      *                              *                            *


Shaved Cucumber Salad with Lemon Dill
Raw Vegan, Gluten and Dairy Free
[makes 6 servings or more]

Ingredients
2 English or 8-inch, tender garden cucumbers, with skin
Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Directions
Wash the cucumbers but leave the skin on. Carefully slice on a mandoline using a thin setting.

Be VERY careful not to cut your fingers.
My daughter is not using the guard in
this picture despite my pleas.

Mix up the lemon juice and oil and pour over the cucumbers. Season with the dill, salt, and pepper. Let the cucumbers sit in the dressing, in the refrigerator, for 30 minutes and then serve.

Nutrition
Per serving: 46 calories, 4 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g cholesterol, 31 mg omega-3 and 358 mg omega-6 fatty acids, 1 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, and 196 mg sodium.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne,
I often read your blog and always find some idea I can use! Thank you. I bought the brown rice you recommended and am currently on the second 5 lbs. Love it!
Another cucumber recipe I love is slice the cucumbers just like you have in your post, salt to remove excess moisture for about 15 min., rinse and squeeze out excess water.
Take a clove of fresh garlic, red wine vinegar to taste, honey (or agave or maple syrup) and a handful of mint and whiz in a hand blender. Add this dressing to the cucumbers and chill a bit. I found this recipe in a Greek cookbook ages ago and have never been able to relocate it, so I can't cite the source.
And I, too, have gotten the mandolin thumb...many times. You would think I would learn!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

So glad you are enjoying the blog and the rice!
And thanks for the recipe - I just picked another 8 cucumbers yesterday and I'm looking for more things to do with them.
My husband threatened to throw out my mandoline but it really comes in useful for recipes like this. I just need to focus when using it and use the guard when possible. It's hard to use a guard when slicing these cucumbers though.
Thanks for your comments!
Joanne