Monday, February 16, 2015

Looking For A Healthy Vegan Meal At The LA Airport? Try Real Food Daily In Terminal 4

Real Food Daily is a lifesaver for vegan's flying through LA.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

Eating and Flying
If you have food allergies or strong food preferences, getting a decent meal while traveling can be really difficult. I always end up bringing along Kind bars, nuts and fruit just so I don't starve to death.

But with the demise of most free airline meals, more and more restaurants are popping up in airports. And some of them are quite good! I remember telling you how surprised I was to find Chelsea's Kitchen in the Phoenix airport last October - their Kale and Quinoa salad was so good it inspired a blog post.

We flew through LA (terminal 4) on our way to Buenos Aires last month and on our way back from Rio last week. Both times I stopped at Real Food Daily. I was so happy to find a healthy, organic, non-GMO plant-based restaurant, that I could hardly wait to tell you about it. 

Real Food Daily
On the way there, we had breakfast. Doug got a lovely gluten free, vegan, No-Huevos Rancheros. It was scrambled tofu with ranchero sauce, black beans, avocado and hash browns. 


Both for breakfast on the way there and for lunch on my way back I opted for the Real Food Meal. You get to select a veggie or two, a plant protein (such as tempeh, tofu, seitan, etc.) and a bean & grain (such as brown rice, quinoa, soba noodles or beans).

My breakfast was a simple bowl of soba noodles with steamed kale, seitan and a dressing. I think it was a ginger tahini dressing which I used very little of since it was a bit salty. But I found the "club seitan" to be absolutely addictive.


On my return flight, I stopped in for lunch. Still craving their "club seitan", I ordered a meal with steamed kale, the veggies of the day (a generous helping of cauliflower, snap peas, and carrots), quinoa, and more seitan. This time I had their lime cilantro dressing.


I was avoiding desserts, but I did stop and admire all the vegan pastries, muffins and cookies in their display case. They looked amazing!


You Get what you Pay For
This restaurant is expensive as is all airport food. But besides having a captive audience and being able to get away with charging more, it really does cost more to buy real organic, unprocessed food. In any case, I'm happy to support a restaurant that provides this type of menu. 

So if you are flying through LA in Terminal 4 and you're looking for a good vegan meal, check this place out!



No comments: