Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Ultimate Spice Rack - Product Review

J.K Adams 32 bottle spice rack.

Follow Foods For Long Life on FACEBOOK .

Luxury Spice Rack
My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas. That was easy to answer - "a spice rack".  My spices were stuffed in the cabinet and despite all efforts to keep them alphabetized, they were randomly placed across 4 pullout shelves. When you have over 60 different spices in bottles, bags and tiny boxes, cooking becomes a nightmare. It's also impossible to keep track of what you have. When I was moving my spices into the new containers, I found bottles that were so old I couldn't remember where, why or when I bought them!

At first Doug thought this was a pretty lame gift idea since he didn't realize how luxurious a spice rack I had in mind. But when he saw the beautiful, hard rock maple, made in Vermont, rotating spice rack by J.K. Adams, (of course I provided him the link!) he knew that no other gift could please me more.


It was impossible to find my herbs in this mess!

JK Adams Spice Rack Review
Pros
* It comes in 3 different sizes - 16, 32 and 48 bottles.
* It's heavy and sturdy with Incredible craftsmanship.
* It's made in Vermont.
* Because it's vertical and it rotates, it takes up less space.
* Each spice is very visible and easy to access (and keep alphabetized!)
* The bottles are empty!!! Many sets come with spices you'll never use. I'd rather select my own and this is one of the main reasons I wanted this set.
* The labels come separately so you can select which ones you need.
* The set also  includes blank labels. If you need more, you can buy them online.
* Snap-on sifters come with the set which is handy for some spices.


You can custom label the empty jars.
You can buy extra blank or printed labels online
I love supporting companies like this!

Cons
* They are expensive but these spice racks are so sturdy and well built, they will last for generations!
* The 3 1/2 ounce bottles are smaller than store bought spices so if you want to put your existing spice bottles in the rack, they won't fit.
* I haven't found a way to professionally print the blank labels to match the ones that came with the set. Still working on that one.


Spice bottles from the store are larger than the ones in the set.
However, it's better to buy smaller amounts of herbs and spices and replenish them more often.

Summary
I love love love this spice rack. Getting my spices organized is something I should have done long ago. So if you like to cook, check out your spice situation and make sure they are fresh, in clear sight and easy to access. 
Remember, herbs and spices are concentrated and excellent sources of vitamins and phytochemicals. So don't forget to spice up your life!


No comments: